[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
How to glue strips together / Wie klebt man die Streifen zusammen? - Page 2 -Music Box Composer

How to glue strips together / Wie klebt man die Streifen zusammen?

AlexD

Re: How to glue strips together / Wie klebt man die Streifen zusammen?

Postby AlexD » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:29 am

When I had first started out I only had the default strips that came with the movements and then after that just regular card stock that I cut into the strips for a while after, had a bunch of folded pieces like what you have pictured there (and still do have some of the oldest ones for 20 note movements). I had tried a few different types of tape over the years ranging from regular 3m scotch magic tape (usually broke at the joint after a dozen foldings/runs through the movement), masking tape (held up better but could only really tape on side, gummed cambric tape (amazingly strong but unfortunately is too thick even for a single side), and eventually settled on the big rolls of clear moving/packaging tape applied on both sides (they still can wear out over time, but have held up about the best). With the longer strips I usually had just rolled them into a loose coil and stored them in a small box. Anymore now I just cut off a strip to the right length from a big roll of the paper though so takes some of the pain out of it, can get them readily enough now through amazon/ebay/etsy/aliexpress/ect.

The lightbox works pretty well overall, and if you can adjust the brightness/contrast of the printed strip you can get them to appear even better. This was a quick example I posted on another thread in here with the lightbox and the regular printed pdf without adjusting any b/c settings:

jeb

Postby jeb » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:37 pm

@ AlexD: Thank you once more for sharing your knowledge!

The idea of building a leporello book out of a music-strip to me is still a very nice one - but I simply have to admit, I didn´t get it to work in reality: the hinges between each section play once, twice, and then they begin to fold in the wrong direction and get stuck within the movement, maybe tend to break, etc... Making a gift of them, as I had in mind - unthinkable!

Besides of that, AlexD is very right with his advice, not to cut and join the parts of a strip at an obtuse angle.
Tried out different kinds of thin (plastic-)tape for the (in my case rectangular) joints, with two different movements. In every scenario the movement´s rollers lost friction and therefor traction, compared to the rest of the strip, when fed with the plastic-tape´s surface at once. A remarkable delay at every joint is the result, when replaying the strip.

Shortly before Christmas I had the luck (must I say ?-) to purchase a 50m-roll of 30-note strip paper from a seller called wingostore through amazon.de marketplace at a price of 29 EUR. (As far, as I can see, today they offer it for only 2599,00 EUR... chinese joke?)
So there doesn´t seem to be a reason for me to bother with musicstrip-joints for the next few weeks ;-)
About the same time I found the "3M Scotch Stick removable": you apply it to a any piece of paper, just to use that like a postit-memo. Fix it, and then remove it again without leaving residues.

Now I cut of a strip of my freshly acquired paper-roll, printed MBC´s output on plain paper, cut that into pieces, suitable to align and fix them (temporarily) on top of the strip, punched the holes through both layers, and then removed them pieces off the strip again.

Being honest, I haven´t played the result yet, but it looks quite encouraging ;-)

Best regards, jeb!

p.s.: will try to make some pictures to illustrate the procedure in a few days

Dampfboot

Postby Dampfboot » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:29 pm

That looks very accurate - great job!
Rainer from Hannover, Germany

www.steamboating.de

Return to “Tips/Techniques”