How do I punch out cards?

Royalbleu

How do I punch out cards?

Postby Royalbleu » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:54 pm

In short, I have no idea what I'm doing. How do I punch strips using a printout as a guide? Do I tape/staple it? Does anyone know of a video tutorial? I know it might seem like a stupid question but I've just been writing in the circles which has been very tedious.

AlexD

Re: How do I punch out cards?

Postby AlexD » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:32 am

If you have a lightbox (or can make one) then you can basically tape down and line up strips on top of the printouts so you can quick run through with a pencil/pen/marker and then proceed to cut them out. It's still not the fastest method, but certainly beats trying to manually draw them in (especially on the 30 note strips :shock: )

A picture is worth a thousand words:

Royalbleu

Postby Royalbleu » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:27 pm

I never thought about doing that! Did you make your light box? Also, I'm having a lot of difficulty when it comes to lining up multiple sheets of paper with the long 30 note strip. What paper do you buy, could you include a link? Last question, how long does it usually take you to punch out a song?

AlexD

Postby AlexD » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:25 am

I had bought a lightbox originally since they aren't too expensive these days for good bright LED versions, though even a simple incandescent bulb in a box with a sheet of glass or clear plastic on top would work (assuming you can get said bulbs, here everything is "energy saver" now which take a good 3-6 minutes to warm up before they reach full intensity... :evil: ). In the picture there the strip was the same width as the PDF printout page strips so after taping down the printed page it was just a matter of lining up the bottom/top edges (didn't bother cutting anything out from the printed page, just put the strip over top).

The strip I had there was what came with the musical movement, you can also buy additional precut strips and even continual strip rolls in 15-50 meter lengths through Etsy, eBay, Amazon, and AliExpress (though the shipping can be slow and pricey coming from China).

Punching time is another matter entirely, if it's a simpler tune or a short tune then it may be fairly fast going. If it's a very complicated tune with lots of harmony chords accompanying the main melody then that can wind up taking a good bit longer. Usually just a matter of patience either way.

Return to “Tips/Techniques”