RPManager 6.16 suuuuper slow on windows 10 - what am I missing?

bentITdude

RPManager 6.16 suuuuper slow on windows 10 - what am I missing?

Postby bentITdude » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:48 pm

Hey there,

I built 3 new computers for our production pipeline and had to go up to Windows 10. I'm running 3dsMax 2016 sp4 and originally RPmanager 6.16.

Loading RPmanager takes about 2 minutes of unresponsiveness, then goes. Then I'll click something, and it takes another minute to do anything.

It doesn't crash though, it's got I/0 read bytes as it's chugging.

I tried turning off the Firewall, re-installing with admin rights (in case I forgot to the first time), Updating RPmanager to 6.5

Still getting the same result. On the machines I have that are running windows 7 RPmanager is running fine and as expected... which leads me to think there is something going on with 10... But I really don't know.

Any ideas what I could try next?

Thanks
-Andy

bentITdude

Re: RPManager 6.16 suuuuper slow on windows 10 - what am I missing?

Postby bentITdude » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:40 pm

So, I found a fix - and I'm posting it so anyone else having the same issue can benefit.

It seemed as though RPmanager was having a hard time writing to the local directory - it being super slow and all.

I went and changed the file permissions on the RPmanager folder in C:\Programs>autodesk>max2016>scripts>rpmanager to allow everything for my user (read/write permissions especially)

After that, I made sure that UAC was off and then tried running RPmanager again, and was able to get it to come up at normal speed. From there I could change to custom submit under the settings and select our Deadline script.

So, I'm pretty sure it was just a lack of permissions issue, which wasn't present in Windows 7, but def is there in windows 10.

admin
Site Admin

Re: RPManager 6.16 suuuuper slow on windows 10 - what am I missing?

Postby admin » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:37 am

Yes, the slowdowns do always seem to come down to permissions/UAC.

I used to have a sticky post about this on the old forum, I'll make another one that also links to this thread, thanks for posting this.

cheers,
grant

Return to “Bugs”